Dive into a galaxy not so far away with our epic Star Wars family costume! We’ll share tips and tricks to create a family ensemble that truly celebrates the power of the Force this Halloween.
Picking our Halloween costume has become one of my family’s favorite things to do!
We love deciding which characters every family member should be and putting together our costumes for the holiday.
This year we chose to bring the iconic characters of Star Wars to life!
Keep reading to see all of our best tricks and tips on how to create this family costume on a budget.
Luke Skywalker Costume
My son was so excited to be Luke for Halloween. We’ve been planning this for months so he couldn’t wait to grab a blue lightsaber and show us his best Jedi moves.
This is the Luke Skywalker costume we got for him. It came with everything he needed!
You could easily make this a DIY costume with some tan pants, an oversized beige shirt, a brown utility belt, light brown boots, and a light saber!
Princess Leia Costume
Princess Leia’s white dress outfit is pretty simple, so you could easily create a DIY version with a long white dress, silver belt, and white boots.
Her costume was the one I put the most work into and it was worth it!
My daughter’s BB-8 dress was a little big, but the price was so good, I decided it was worth it!
I grabbed her a BB-8 bow to complete her costume.
Dark Anakin Costume
I went back and forth for a while on getting my husband a Darth Vader costume. I was all ready to buy it when I realized it was going to take forever to ship.
So I decided on the Dark Anakin costume instead. It actually went with my costume a little better than Darth Vader would have, so it worked out!
Padme Amidala Costume
Padme has so many different costumes she wears in the movies, but I decided to make it simple and get her white outfit from Attack of the Clones.
You could easily recreate the look with a white shirt, white pants, tan utility belt, and tall tan boots.
Trunk or Treat Ideas
Here is a super simple Star Wars trunk or treat idea that you can steal!
We also strung some Christmas lights and powered them with a portable charging station to light up the decorations.
Other Costume Ideas
As a family of 6 we couldn’t be every character from Star Wars, unfortunately, so here are some more options if you have a bigger family or someone wants to be a different character:
- Darth Vader
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Han Solo
- Jabba the Hutt
- Emperor Palpatine
- Darth Maul
- Kylo Ren
- Ahsoka Tano
- The Mandalorian
- Boba Fett
The list of options is pretty long with this theme since it spans 9 movies and several off-shoots. So you shouldn’t ever run out of characters!
And here are even more DIY ideas to make your Star Wars family costumes more affordable:
How To Choose A Family Costume
When it comes to picking a family Halloween costume, here are some tips we’ve found that make it a memorable and smooth experience:
- Select a Theme: Start by picking a theme that everyone in the family can relate to and enjoy. It could be based on a favorite movie, TV show, book, or even a historical era. Common themes like superheroes, fairy tales, or famous pop culture references often work well.
- Consider Individual Preferences: While it’s important to choose a theme everyone can agree on, also consider individual preferences within that theme. Make sure each family member can pick a character or element they genuinely like.
- Age-Appropriate Choices: Keep the age and maturity level of each family member in mind. Ensure that the costumes are suitable for everyone’s age and comfort level.
- DIY vs. Store-Bought: Decide whether you want to create DIY costumes or buy pre-made ones. DIY costumes can be more personalized and budget-friendly, but they require time and effort. Store-bought costumes offer convenience but can be more expensive. You can get the best of both worlds by shopping at second-hand or thrift stores for costume pieces.
- Coordinate Colors and Styles: Even if each family member is dressing as a different character, try to coordinate the colors and styles of the costumes to create a cohesive look. This makes the family ensemble more visually appealing.
- Plan Ahead: Start planning your family costume well in advance to allow time for shopping, crafting, and any necessary alterations. Popular costumes may sell out quickly, so it’s best to start early. We purchase our costume pieces in August and September.
- Consider Comfort: Think about comfort and practicality. Ensure the costumes are appropriate for the weather conditions in your area and that they allow for easy movement, especially for kids.
- Accessories and Props: Don’t forget about accessories and props that can enhance your costumes. These can add authenticity and creativity to your family’s look. Try shopping for these items around the house before you purchase anything.
- Include Everyone: Try to include every family member, including pets if they’re willing participants. A coordinated pet costume can add an extra layer of fun!
- Test the Costumes: Before Halloween night, have a dress rehearsal to make sure the costumes fit properly, and everyone is comfortable. This will also give you a chance to work out any last-minute adjustments and take pictures so you’re not rushing on the big night!
Remember that the key to a successful family costume is ensuring that everyone feels excited and comfortable in their chosen character, while also creating a visually appealing and cohesive look.
If you liked this post, there are several more ideas for DIY family costumes in these posts:
- Halloween 2020: Peter Pan Family Costume
- Halloween 2022: Wizard Of Oz Family Costume
- 160+ Ultimate DIY Family Halloween Costumes
- Blogger-Inspired DIY Family Costumes
If you’re doing a Star Wars family costume this year, let us know how many people are in your family and who’s being what in the comments!