Inside: These are all my best beauty tips for busy moms. I tell you how to get rid of pimples, the best root cover-up, and how to curl your long hair fast!
As a work-from-home mom, I know how hard it is for women and mothers to find time to take care of their skin.
Beauty starts skin deep, and for the longest time, I struggled with how to get rid of pimples.
Like so many women, pregnancy, changing hormones, and believe it or not, my IUD kept me locked in a battle with my stubborn acne and nothing seemed to work.
But, after LOTS of trial and error, I finally found the secret to clear skin.
Keep scrolling to see how, plus lots more skin, makeup, hair, and beauty tips you can’t live without.
This post contains affiliate links. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.
BEAUTY TIPS FOR SKIN
How to Get Rid of Pimples When Nothing Else Works
If you’ve battled with your skin, you know how difficult and expensive it can be to find effective products.
But, I’ve found a solution!
In this post, I share how to remove pimples from your face with one product line and proven results.
Before I found the products in this post, I struggled with un-clearable “accutane” acne and spent SO MUCH money on methods that offered no relief.
Here’s a list of everything I tried that left me frustrated:
- Almost every drugstore cleanser you can buy
- Benzoyl peroxide
- Salicylic acid
- Natural tablets
- Aztec clay mask
- Rubbing alcohol (yes I actually put rubbing alcohol on my skin *cringe*)
- Other antibiotics and creams
- Light therapy
No matter what I did, my “bad skin” went from bad to awful.
Thankfully, one of my blog readers introduced me to Rodan + Fields as I considered Accutane.
I had heard about their Unblemish acne-fighting regimen but was hesitant to try it due to the cost.
But I knew if it worked, it would be worth the investment!
And, it did!
I went out on a limb and purchased the product. Unblemish worked so well to gently clear my breakouts. I could not be happier I made this investment for the health of my skin.
Vacation Ready Skin
If you want to be a few shades darker for summer, don’t risk your health or waste your time sitting in the sun!
Use self-tanner instead!
If you’re hesitant to try a self-tanner or are unsure you’ll get good results, I’ve found some great products that don’t disappoint.
The Jergens Natural Glow tips in this post will safely get your skin summer-ready. No streaks, no mess, and you’ll get a quick, natural-looking tan.
How do I get the Best Results From Jergens Natural Glow?
Here are a few of the tips and tricks I share in this post for the best results:
- For the most natural-looking color, be sure to exfoliate before first use (I like to use a shower pouf and shave to exfoliate my skin)
- Apply on wet skin immediately after showering
- Towel dry as normal – this is key to achieve streak-free, natural-looking color
Winter Skin + My Favorite Deodorant
Not only have I had to figure out out how to get rid of pimples, I’ve also dealt with dry skin, and living in Utah definitely doesn’t help.
My skin irritation is particularly bad in the winter, especially under my arms.
How Can I Protect My Skin in Cold Weather?
I started using Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant and it’s transformed my underarm skin health.
If you also experience this issue, you can check out all the details on this product plus Winter Skincare Tips in this post.
Here’s a peek at some of my best advice:
- Always use sunscreen. You may not think to use sunscreen during winter, but it’s super important to always protect your skin. Try a moisturizer or foundation with SPF so sun protection is built into your beauty routine.
- Establish a bedtime routine for your skin. Nighttime is the best time to hydrate and refresh your skin. Your body works on skin recovery when you sleep, so it’s important to provide your body with nourishment before bedtime.
- Implement retinol into your skincare routine. Retinol helps with collagen production and rejuvenates skin.
MAKEUP & BEAUTY TIPS
I’m all for saving time and money, and that goes for makeup, too!
You don’t always have to go to an expensive store to find quality products that work, feel good on your skin and look great.
I’ve tested lots of products, both high-end and drugstore, to find a good foundation for combination skin. I review each of those products in this post.
You’ll be surprised by the results!
- Have you ever found the perfect foundation that feels great on your skin but doesn’t match your skin tone? I ran into this problem when I discovered my favorite drugstore foundation. But, there’s an easy solution for this! Buy one compact a shade above and one compact a shade below where your skin tone should be, and mix them together! Because it’s at drugstore pricing, the combination won’t be expensive and your foundation will last twice as long.
- Everyone’s skin is a little bit different. If a great foundation product doesn’t go on as smooth as you’d like, try adding a little water to your makeup sponge. This can help with a better application, but won’t add more oil to your skin.
I love the look of big, full lashes, but I don’t come by them naturally, so I had to find a great mascara product for my beauty routine. (Lash extensions are way too expensive and time-consuming!)
With so many mascara options out there, it can seem impossible to find a product that works for you.
But, once again, I found a great product you can pick up at the drugstore and won’t blow your budget!
The brush does such a great job of separating my lashes and does a thick, even coat.
I love that I don’t have to spend a ton of money to get such good coverage and fullness. It doesn’t clump AND lasts all day.
- Prime your lashes. This was a new concept for me, and I’m so glad I tried it! The L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Primer goes so well with the Lash Paradise mascara for an extra boost of length and fullness. It also helps the mascara adhere better to your lashes. I use the spoolie end of this eyebrow pencil, as well, to really separate and brush out my lashes.
Longer, Fuller Lashes
If you’re into long, full lashes (and, who isn’t?), try this “eyelash enhancing serum” that’s only $30! (Psst! It’s not actually a serum, but works just like one!)
The cost of effective lash growth serums is high. I initially tried a product that was 5 times as expensive as my affordable find and I wasn’t happy with the results.
Plus, magnetic strips and lash extensions are also pretty costly.
This $30 hack does not disappoint!
Smokey Eye Application
Who doesn’t love a smokey eye?
I do my makeup pretty much the same way every day. It’s the perfect technique to bring out the color of my eyes.
I’m no professional, but I’ve perfected the smokey eye look through lots of practice and lots of Youtube videos.
You can see my full, easy smokey eye makeup tutorial in this post. I also share all the products I use to achieve the look.
And if you’d like to see me apply my eye makeup, check out my IGTV tutorial here!
Eye Makeup Tip:
- If you get a little stray makeup or mascara on your eyelids, an easy way to clean up your lid, is to use a q-tip and a little lotion. The lotion works much better than water to remove makeup and it also gives a little health boost to your skin.
I share my experience getting my brows microbladed in this in-depth post.
Some people are a little skeptical or hesitant about the process, so I walk you through my before and after and everything you need to know.
Microblading has made such a difference in my beauty routine.
I used to spend SO long trying to draw in my brows each day. Now my makeup application time is cut in half!
If you have thin brows, I’d recommend you look into this for yourself.
Here are some FAQs to help answer some of your questions:
BEAUTY TIPS FOR HAIR
I love my long, thick hair, but it used to take such a time commitment to get it curled.
With lots of experience, I’ve been able to cut down my styling time, and still get effortlessly wavy hair.
I’ve shared all the tips and tricks I’ve learned in this tutorial for the fastest way to curl hair.
This tutorial will work for all hair types and I’ve included links to the products I use to take care of my hair through the process.
Here are a few of the tips I share:
- Start with freshly washed hair
- Use heat shield product
- Curl away from your face
- Run a wide tooth comb through your hair when done
Root Touch Up Hack
Did you know I’m not really a brunette!
Most people don’t know I color my hair, but my secret is out. It’s not much of a secret, though, because I love to share this easy coloring hack using the best root cover up.
This trick extends the time between root touch ups, saves me time and money, and improves the health of my hair with fewer treatments.
As a busy mom, I don’t have a lot of time to spend getting ready every day, and these tips have helped my cut down my beauty routine and budget.
If you want more great money and time-saving tips you’ll love my free printables library. These include my easy Stain Removal Guide, Weekly Cleaning Checklist and Baby Registry Checklist.
As a bonus for joining my weekly-ish newsletter, you’ll get access to each of these printables (plus a few more!) Click here to download and subscribe or you can use the nifty box below.